Join me on my personal adventures in the wonderful world of the humble record. There's no final destination - just a continuous joyous journey.

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd


Everyone in the world must have heard this classic album a million times over. Who doesn't remember where they were when they first heard its revolutionary sound? I certainly do.


I was at the time in my mid-teens, and I was so excited to have been invited by Liz Fletcher and her mates from school to go down to London Town JUST TO HAVE COFFEE. How cool was that?!?

And to cap it all, I was then invited back to her house with all these smart people that I was now mixing with. I was truly crossing over the boundaries. From the squareness of being with the boys to the excitement of being with the girls. Goodbye Anthony, John and David. Hello Liz, Sue and Jackie .

She had this strange LP that she put on the turntable. It had no writing on the cover - just a black image with a prism of light. I'd never seen anything like it.

And then...oh my god! What on earth? Millions of alarm clocks going off. Weird sounds all around. Unusual, soft and sublime vocals. And then came the cash-registers of Money, and a stunning female voice on The Great Gig In The Sky (and to think that Clare Torry only got paid £30 for that).

I was in music heaven. I didn't want to go home, but I knew I had to be home by midnight. I'd promised my parents.

Then I was back in their world of Matt Munro and Andy Williams on the radiogram. But by now I'd got a taste of what was on the Dark Side - and I knew I'd be coming back for more.