Join me on my personal adventures in the wonderful world of the humble record. There's no final destination - just a continuous joyous journey.

Nilsson Schmilsson - Harry Nilsson


I was on holiday in France when I was thirteen, and my mother had this LP, which was played over and over. It was my first introduction to Harry Nilsson, and it became a love affair at first listen, that lasted for another forty years and counting.


I'm a grown-up now, and recently my son asked me why I like Nilsson so much, and I thought for a moment before answering; His vocal range is outstanding, his lyrics are off-the-wall, funny and poignant. His earlier records leading up to Schmilsson were incredibly melodic and so different to what was the norm at the time.

Then came the big smash in 1971 with this album, with it's mix of heart-tugging melodrama in the guise of Without You, a huge hit on both sides of the Atlantic. Add some really catchy tunes like Gotta Get Up and Early In The Morning, and the ingredients are in place for an outstanding album.

On side two of the record, the eight-minute heavy rock anthem Jump Into The Fire used to make me leap up and skip the needle across to the next track - much quieter and more acceptable to discerning parents. But I simply love Jump Into The Fire, complete with its drum dual between Jim Keltner and Jim Gordon. It's best played very loud and very drunk.

But in my mind the standout track has to be Coconut. It must be good because Noel Edmonds had it as his Record Of The Week. And if it's good enough for Noel, it's good enough for me. Quentin Tarantino got it as well, and used it in Reservoir Dogs. But what was Harry on? Seek it out, have a listen, and see if you can work it out?

I suspect some white powder was involved. Maybe a little Scotch too.