Join me on my personal adventures in the wonderful world of the humble record. There's no final destination - just a continuous joyous journey.

The Beatles - 'White Album'


No collection would be complete without something included by The Beatles. Although my first ever LP that I owned (except for the Mary Poppins Soundtrack when I was about seven) was in fact Abbey Road, I would say my favourite Beatles record is the 'Double White Album'.


Yes, it should have been a single disc. Yes, they should have left Revolution 9 off. Yes, McCartney's Honey Pie takes does certainly take the biscuit for naffness.

At the height of their creativity, in my humble opinion, this Fab Four's record is more like four fab individuals' projects, rather than a coherent group offering, but OMG, there are some real gems here.

And I mean gems made from diamonds. Tracks like I Will, Julia, Mother Nature's Son and I'm So Tired conjure up a certain mood, while Helter Skelter, Birthday and Back In The USSR prove that these boys can really rock.

And last night, thanks to David Roberts (author of the brilliant Rock Atlas), sitting on the back of my Boat For My Potplants as the sun went down over Wivenhoe, he played me the most beautiful Beatles cover I'd ever heard - Blackbird by Crosby, Stills and Nash.

Please do yourself a favour - and have a listen...