Join me on my personal adventures in the wonderful world of the humble record. There's no final destination - just a continuous joyous journey.

Songs In The Key Of Life - Stevie Wonder


By the time this LP came out in 1976, I was absolutely gagging for it. By then I had reached the heady age of 17, and was a fully paid-up member of the 6th Form Common Room. Lorraine used to play her Motown records down there, and that's where I first heard the likes of Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder. And of course by now I was a serious music fan, and man, I knew my stuff alright. Or so I thought. Actually my taste in music was still very prog-rock and middle-of-the road, but when Songs was finally released after months, if not years, of eager anticipation, it truly blew my mind.


And on that two-hundred metre walk from the main school building down the path to the common room, I was able to seriously strut my stuff - namely carrying said LP under my arm, proudly for all to see. For I was the first at school to buy it, despite the Melody Maker's review, excellent though it was, being more focussed on its 'Songs to the Tune of Seven Quid' headline, at the time being the most expensive LP in the shops. But gold is expensive, and you get what you pay for.

Being a squeaky-clean youngster, the nearest I got to a drug experience back then was listening to Sir Duke on Jonathan Clapham's headphones (I didn't possess any myself) round at his house. Like naughty school kids passing spliffs between us, we were instead sharing the cans back and forth and getting our highs that way. "F**k! You gotta hear this one!", was about all we could muster in our stupor as we repeatedly returned the needle to its place at the start of each song. 

EVERY single track on the whole four sides (plus 4-track EP) is a blinder, a belter, a classic. Over the years I've laughed, cried, loved, danced, and sung with this gigantic masterwork of a true musical genius. I defy anyone to not become uplifted by it. 

Can you tell that I quite like it?