Join me on my personal adventures in the wonderful world of the humble record. There's no final destination - just a continuous joyous journey.

There Goes Rhymin' Simon - Paul Simon


I'd say this is Paul Simon's finest - even better than his grand Graceland. His voice is in such fine fettle, the tunes are so well and truly tuneful.


I felt I was coming of age when I got into Paul Simon. He was as sophisticated as I was trying to be. I proudly walked the school corridors with this  LP under my arm, hoping to be seen by teachers and friends alike.

It was his second solo LP, after his self titled (also brilliant) album, and it heralded such incredible backing musicians as the Dixie Hummingbirds on Tenderness. Simon was already showing signs of the musical adventure and imaginative collaborations that were to come later in his career.

The styles include dixieland on Take Me To The Mardi Gras and gospel on Loves Me Like A Rock. Kodachrome was banned on BBC radio due to its trademark name, and Kodak even insisted on a nod on the sleeve.

The beautiful American Tune (the opening track on Side Two) helped this record gain two Grammy nominations following its release in 1974

Paul Simon may well be better known for his work with Art Garfunkel, and later with his South African controversy surrounding his recording of Graceland, but I would urge anyone remotely interested in music to check out this masterpiece.